Want Mobile Privacy? Read
If you don’t want your smartphone to know more about you than you do, here are top choices, as detailed on gizmodo.com:
- The Blackphone 2 will black out the federal government from spying on you.
- Has a five inch handset with full HD screen (with Gorilla Glass 3 that prevents shoulder surfing).
- 3 GB or RAM
- Its Silent Circle’s PrivateOS 1.1 provides a “Spaces” UI: Data will be encrypted and compartmentalized.
- The “Spaces” allow you to set up distinct spaces for different types of data, including a Silent Space that’s akin to Chrome’s incognito mode.
- The Silent Suite allows you to keep various kinds of communications encrypted.
- Also provides a Silent Store for apps.
- This outdated “dumb phone” might still be available out there, somewhere.
- The dumb phone is not capable of transmitting data through cyberspace. Thus, you don’t ever have to worry about being “followed,” “tracked” or hacked into.
- If you’re comfortable not being connected to the Internet of Things, this phone is for you—if you can find one.
- If you want to pretty much guarantee that you’ll be untraceable, then use payphones.
- Locate the payphones in your town and anywhere you normally travel, so that when it’s time to make a call, you won’t be spending time hunting for the phone.
- Always have change on you, too.
- To be even more non-traceable, always have in your car a thin pair of gloves to prevent your fingerprints from being on the phone.
Honorable Mention: Apple iPhone/Microsoft Lumia 930/Google Nexus 5
- Apple, Microsoft and Google are no more crazier about government surveillance programs than you are.
- Nevertheless, their phones gather data—but at least it goes to the maker of these devices rather than to the government.
- The manufacturers analyze the data in the name of giving the user a better experience with the product.
Let’s also throw in the landline. Your calls can be traced, but at least data about you like your shopping preferences, health, income, marital status, etc., won’t go leaking out anywhere.