Exposed as in streaking through life naked without a stitch of security. There are things I do and things I don’t do, and no security isn’t on my “do” list. Come on, people!
McAfee used its Windows-based Security Scan Plus scan an average of 17 million PCs per month in 24 different countries. This was the first industry study of its kind, thought to be the most accurate snapshot of consumer PC protection to date.
83% of computers scanned were found to be protected with the basics. Basic security protection includes working antivirus software, anti-spyware protection, and firewalls. That leaves 17% with no or essentially no protection from malware and other threats.
Other key findings include:
Finland is the most protected country with only 9.7% of PCs lacking any security protection
Singapore ranked at the bottom with 21.75% of consumer PCs completely unprotected
11.75% of Singapore’s PCs have security software installed, but it is disabled
Spain had the highest percentage of PCs without any installed basic security protection at 16.33%
The United States is the 5th least protected country, with 19.32% of Americans browsing the Internet without any protection; 12.25% of consumers have zero security protection installed; 7.07% have security software installed but it is disabled
If you are part of the 17% without security software installed, listen up: there are millions of viruses out there that will ravage your PC to death. Some can make your PC completely inoperable, while others allow criminals to control your PC remotely, making it part of a “botnet,” used for nefarious ends by a criminal network. But worst of all are viruses that allow criminals to access your data in order to steal your identity.
So please, protect your PC with comprehensive security software that includes antivirus, anti-spyware, anti-spam, anti-phishing and firewall protection, and save us all the discomfort of having to look at your naked PC.
Robert Siciliano is an Online Security Evangelist to McAfee. See him on Anderson Cooper discussing mobile security and identity theft. (Disclosures)
About the Author
ROBERT SICILIANO, CEO of IDTheftSecurity.com is fiercely committed to informing, educating, and empowering Americans so they can be protected from violence and crime in the physical and virtual worlds. His "tell it like it is" style is sought after by major media outlets, executives in the C-Suite of leading corporations, meeting planners, and community leaders to get the straight talk they need to stay safe in a world in which physical and virtual crime is commonplace. Siciliano is accessible, real, professional, and ready to weigh in and comment at a moment's notice on breaking news.
- 5 Tips to Avoid bin Laden Scams
After Osama bin Ladens Death a flurry of internet scams hit the internet. Most notably scam emails with links to pictures, videos and phony Facebook messages with links to videos that don’t exist.
When clicking these links your PC can be infected with a RAT which is a remote access Trojan and all your information may
- Social Networking Security Awareness
One in five online consumers has been a victim of cybercrime in the past two years. Social networking is a direct link to the problem. While social networks allow you to keep in touch with family and friends, there are issues to be concerned about.
Most concerns revolve around online reputation management, identity theft, or physical
- Mobile Phone Becoming Bigger Target For Hackers
Identity Theft Expert Robert Siciliano
Mobile Internet access and mobile service usage is growing rapidly and cyber criminals are expected to pay more attention to this sector. Mobile device platforms compete for innovation created by application developers and other content creators who are increasingly demanding more device access. As their requests grow in numbers and they
- Analysts Expect Explosion in Mobile Malware
As consumers have overwhelmingly flocked to purchase smartphones—149 million were shipping in Q4…a 37% increase over Q4 2010—mobile operating systems from the likes of Apple, Google, and Microsoft are becoming big targets.
Malware, which consists of viruses, spyware, scareware, and other digital infections designed to steal data, is known to be a serious issue for PCs. And in response, there
- 5 Lessons Learned from RSA
A couple of weeks ago, the RSA Security conference took place in San Francisco, CA. The increasing sophistication of hackers and visibility of data breaches (including one on the conference’s namesake company last year) makes this an exciting time to be in the security business.. While this show is for corporate IT and security professionals,
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.